If you want to contribute an item to the AAF Collection, first create images by either scanning or photographing each page of the item. (See How-To: Scan Items or How-To: Photograph Items.) You can then upload your image files to this website using a File Transfer Protocol (FTP) program.
If you do not have an FTP program, you can find good free programs on the Internet. See for example FileZilla or Core FTP. The following steps assume you are using FileZilla, but they also apply to most FTP programs.
- Contact the AAF Collection curator to make arrangements to upload your image files. The curator will supply you with a user name and password to use below.
- If you don’t already have an FTP program, download and install FileZilla Client. Follow their instructions for doing so.
- Run FileZilla. Click the Site Manager button on the toolbar:
- In the Site Manager dialog, click the New Site button (lower left):
- In the Host field, enter: ftp.aafcollection.info
- In the User and Password fields, enter the user name and password you obtained from the curator in Step 1 above.
- Leave all the other fields with their default values.
- Click the Connect button (bottom center) and wait for the connection to become active.
- You can now transfer the files you wish to contribute to the AAF Collection. On the left side is the local site, or the files on your computer. On the right side is the remote site, or the files on the AAF Collection server.
- Navigate to the folder on the local site (your computer) that contains your images. This assumes you want to transfer all the files in a particular folder and that folder does not contain extra or unrelated files.
- Click once on the folder name. This selects (highlights) the folder you want to upload.
- Move the mouse so that it hovers over the highlighted folder name.
- Right-click to see a pop-up menu, then left-click on Upload. The files should begin to be copied up to the server. Depending upon the number and size of the files you are transferring, they may take several minutes to upload.
- To transfer individual files rather a whole folder, navigate to the folder that contains your files. Click once on the first file, then scroll down to the last file. Hold down the shift key and click on the last file. Now move your mouse over one of the highlighted files and right-click. Then choose Upload.
Note: If you have specific items you would like to donate, please contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Although this blog entry was posted years ago, the information is still up to date.