Historical Documents from World War II
Actual Shadow, The
2nd Bomb Division, 8th Air Force
"This booklet is published for all members of a combat crew and is intended to make the crew as a whole..."Safety Conscious."
"The photographs are of actual accidents to 2nd Division aircraft and are presented as grim reminders of the destruction that carelessness and loose thinking can cause."
The photo in the center of page 18 is a 492nd plane, Lt. Elmer Pitsenbarger pilot. The description also matches the incident on August 6th, 1944 when a Lt. Fleming's plane slipped in under them on landing. Two were killed on Pitsenbarger's plane and 9 on Fleming's. The latter was flying only their second mission.
- none listed
- circa 1944
- Eighth Air Force
- 2nd Bomb: 2nd Bomb Division
- 8th AF: 8th Air Force
- Annotated - Includes handwritten notes or descriptions
- England; UK
- Kelsy McMillan
- 389th Memorial Exhibition Museum, Hethel, Norfolk, England
- 000467: Combat Crew Manual
XX Bomber Command, APO 493
Direct Link (Item 000200):
- Army Air Forces Collection, "Actual Shadow, The: 2nd Bomb Division, 8th Air Force" (item 000200), AAF Collection, http://AAFCollection.info/items/list.php?item=000200 (accessed 24 November 2017).
Added: December 15, 2009
Flying safety booklet for combat air crews.
Army Air Forces Collection Item 000200 is licensed by Mike Voisin under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.